Are you interested in joining the Book Grocer team?
We are always interested in hearing from reliable, enthusiastic and creative people who love books and are great with customers!
Occasionally a vacancy in one of our stores does pop up and we usually go back through our resume file about one or two months if we are hiring. So if you are interested in being considered for a role with us please get in touch. Here are some pointers on applying for work with us.
Our ideal candidate
- Our staff normally work alone so we are looking for responsible, trustworthy people who can show initiative and are enthusiastic about hard work. Don’t worry - we’ll train you!
- We like our staff to be familiar with books across all genres - at the interview we ask candidates to show us how they would identify books from different areas of the store.
- We’re looking for people who can use their book knowledge to converse with customers and recommend books. At interview, we ask candidates to show us how they would recommend a book to a customer based on another book that the customer might be interested in.
- Working in a bookshop is quite physical - unpacking boxes, shelving books, moving things around, and standing for extended periods of time, so it’s important that our staff are careful, responsible and safety-conscious as well as physically capable of doing the work.
How to apply
- We always like to check references for all candidates prior to making an offer - so please have these up to date and ensure your referees are aware of this
- Please send your application via email - this helps us send the resume on in the right direction - paper applications can get lost, or never make it out of a store to another store that might be interested
- Send your application to us here
- Please put the location you are seeking work in, in the Subject line of the email
- Don’t forget to mention books in your cover letter. We want to see how important books and reading are to you!
Standing out from the crowd
We get a lot of applications to work at the Book Grocer. Unlike many other bookstores we do not demand that you have prior experience in a bookstore before working for us. However it is important that you know and love books and are enthusiastic about sharing this with our customers.
When you write your application, please use the points below to help us get to know you better:
- What is your favourite book and why?
- What area of the store would you need to work hardest to familiarise yourself with?
- Write a short review of the last book you read and enjoyed - just a few sentences will do - imagine it being written on a review card and hung on the shelf just above the book as a recommendation.
- What do you want to be doing in five years’ time?