We are still open for business online and we are still processing and shipping your online orders - 3 Aug 2020!
Can't see your "Reset your password" email, can't access your account, can't pay?
You might not have a password set. Try logging in without one - you will be prompted to set one if this is the case.
You might not have an online account with us (our in-store loyalty system, and our email newsletter list, are both different systems from this website). Try setting an account up (see screenshot below).
In the checkout, before entering payment details, you must first select a shipping method.
You must use Visa or Mastercard if paying by Credit Card. We also offer Paypal (Amex is available when paying by PayPal).
If all else fails please send us an email to email@example.com and we would be happy to help!
Have a Discount Code?
Discount Codes need to be entered at login, not checkout.
Enter your Discount Code in "Group Special Code" per the below picture, whether you are creating an account for the first time, or logging in again. You need to enter this code when you log in.
The discount sometimes does not appear on the home page (Carousel) - try clicking a book or two and see if the discount is there.
If you don't see the discount applied to all the books, log out and try logging in again ensuring you enter your code in the Group Special Code field. If you get an incorrect password message, try logging in by entering your email address and leaving the password field blank. You'll be prompted to update your password (this means it did not save correctly when you set the account up). Once you've done this, you should be able to log in using the Code.
What is the Book Grocer doing about COVID-19?
A full list of our stores and contact details can be found in the Our Stores page. Our stores are open with the following additional measures in place:
- Limited trading hours so staff can work shorter shifts
- Regular cleaning and sanitising of surfaces
- Limiting the number of people in stores and enforcing social distancing
- We have moved to Card Only payment in all our stores.
I can see a texta mark on the base of the book?
This is a "remainder mark" and it is common on remaindered books. It is a mark made by publishers to prevent sellers from returning the books for a full refund. We purchase books at a discount and sell them for a reduced price. The remainder mark is a necessary part of this industry. More information here.
Gift Vouchers and Gift Cards
We currently do not offer Gift Card or Voucher redemption through the checkout. However we are happy to offer a workaround!
If you have a Book Grocer Gift Card (credit card sized) and you wish to use it online please place your order as usual and pay in full. Please then email us with your Order Number and the full Code on the Gift Card. We will find it in our system and process a refund to your credit card for that amount.
If you have a $10 voucher provided by Collect or Marsello (our instore Rewards program) we have a similar workaround. Place your order online as usual and pay in full. Please then email us with your Voucher Number/Code and we will redeem it for you in our system and process a refund to your credit card for that amount.
Online Loyalty (and Instore Rewards Points)
We have 2 different systems for accruing Loyalty/Rewards at the Book Grocer.
Your in-store purchases accrue Rewards Points (powered by Collect): Spend $200 in store and you'll receive a $10 voucher to use in-store. They cannot be used online. Staff will help you redeem these points and you can also receive updates emailed to you.
Online purchases accrue Loyalty $$$ at the same rate (5%): These can be used online as soon as they accrue (you don't need to wait to reach a certain amount). They cannot be used in-store.
To check and make use of your Online Loyalty balance, go to your Shopping Cart on the website. Click "Proceed to Checkout". If you have any Loyalty $$$ ready to use, Loyalty will appear as an available payment method along with the balance you have available. Enter the amount you wish to use and "Add". Check the balance remaining - it should be reduced by that amount. Pay the remaining amount by credit card. Send us an email if you experience any issues with this.
We offer $10 shipping anywhere in Australia to a home or business address. We offer FREE shipping for all orders over $50.
We also offer FREE instore pickup.
We do not ship to addresses outside Australia.
PLEASE NOTE: If you purchase a book online and choose in-store pickup you accept that the in-store price of that book may be lower: Our in-store prices occasionally differ from our online prices. We welcome the chance to sell your chosen book directly to you at one of our stores if it is available. Please get in touch with our stores by email or phone if you wish to enquire about the in-store availability of a book before you make an online purchase.
The online price reflects many things including stock levels at our warehouse, shipping and handling fees etc.
For $10 Shipping Australia-wide: We endeavour to process your item(s) within 24/48 business hours. We use a combination of Australia Post (for smaller orders) and a shipping company to deliver your order. You can expect your items within 4-5 days outside peak (Christmas) season.
For in-store pickup: Our warehouse is Melbourne-based. We deliver stock and customer orders to our stores on a regular but somewhat unpredictable schedule. If you are based in Melbourne your book is likely to arrive at your selected store earlier than if you select an interstate in-store pickup option.
Interstate stores could take up to 3 weeks to receive the book you have ordered.
Your chosen store will get in touch with you by email to let you know your book has arrived.
If you have any questions about online orders please contact us by email.
Secure Eway Payment Gateway
We accept the following payment methods: credit card (MasterCard and VISA). We charge your credit card at the time you place the order. If we are unable to fulfil any items we refund your card immediately.
The Book Grocer considers the security of your credit card details to be of the utmost importance. The very high level of security measures that we have established and implemented are to the highest in industry standards for ecommerce. You can be totally assured of complete security of your details. We work with eWAY - the industry's leading credit card processor.
PCI DSS (Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard) - a set of standards created by card issuers such as Visa and MasterCard to ensure the security of credit card details online. As an online credit card processor, eWAY is subject to standards imposed on the industry by major card issuers such as Visa and MasterCard.
The Payment Card Industry (PCI) Data Security Standard (DSS) is a set of guidelines developed to help organisations that process card payments prevent credit card fraud, hacking and various other security issues. A company processing, storing, or transmitting credit card numbers must be PCI DSS compliant or they risk losing the ability to process credit card payments.
The Book Grocer is committed to privacy in accordance with the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000. We take reasonable steps to safeguard and protect your privacy.
The personal details that you provide to us when using our website, such as your name, postal or e-mail address, telephone or fax number, will be kept confidential. We use this information to fulfil your order and to keep you updated about the progress of your order. If you select the newsletter option we will notify you of special offers, new products and new services. If you no longer want to receive the newsletter simply contact us.
The Book Grocer will not sell or give your information to a third party. Your information may be sent to a third party where we are legally required to do so; in the course of a police investigation; or to subcontractors for the purpose of fulfillment or after-sales service.
We dispatch hundreds of thousands of products with an extremely small percentage that arrive damaged. In the majority of cases it is usually due to handling accidents by delivery personnel. Our own suppliers have strict quality control procedures in place as items are manufactured and then freighted to us. All our own products that we dispatch are then carefully inspected a third time prior to dispatch. Should you be unfortunate enough to receive a faulty or damaged product please contact us.
Change of Mind
Ordinarily, we are unable to accept returns due to a change of mind. Returns will only be approved at our discretion and usually we will only allow this when the book is damaged or wrongly supplied. Returns will not be accepted without prior approval. If you would like us to consider a change of mind purchase please contact us outlining your reasons for wishing to do so. We will then evaluate your request and at our discretion we will make a decision and notify you of the outcome. All Change of Mind returns must be received in mint, resaleable condition.
Can I see the status of my orders?
When you login to your account you can access your order history, view your recent orders, update your email address, and view your wishlist.
Do you take telephone orders?
We prefer to receive orders via the website but if you really need to order and pay over the phone you can call us on 03 9310 3938.
YOUR USE OF THIS WEB SITE CONSTITUTES YOUR AGREEMENT TO BE BOUND BY THESE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF USE.
This web site, including all of its features and content is a service made available by The Book Grocer and all content, information and software provided on and through this site may be used solely under the following terms and conditions.
2. Limitations on Use. The Content on this site is for your personal use only and not for commercial exploitation. Notwithstanding the foregoing, to the extent this site provides electronic commerce, such buying opportunities may be made available for group as well as personal purchasing, so long as you are authorised to make purchases on behalf of such group. You may not decompile, reverse engineer, disassemble, rent, lease, loan, sell, sublicense, or create derivative works from this site or the content. Nor may you use any network monitoring or discovery software to determine the site architecture, or extract information about usage, individual identities or users. You may not use any robot, spider, other automatic software or device, or manual process to monitor or copy our site or the content without our prior written permission. You may not copy, modify, reproduce, republish, distribute, display, or transmit for commercial, non-profit or public purposes all or any portion of this site, except to the extent permitted above. Any unauthorised use of this site or its content is prohibited.
3. Not Legal Advice. Content is not intended to and does not constitute legal advice and no attorney-client relationship is formed. The accuracy, completeness, adequacy or currency of the content is not warranted or guaranteed. Your use of information on this site or materials linked from this site is at your own risk.
6. Licence of Your Content to us. By uploading content to or submitting any materials for use on this site, you grant (or warrant that the owner of such rights has expressly granted) us a perpetual, worldwide, royalty-free, irrevocable, non-exclusive right and licence, with right to sublicence, to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, publicly perform, publicly display, digitally display and digitally perform translate, create derivative works from and distribute such materials or incorporate such materials into any form, medium, or technology now known or later developed. You agree that you shall have no recourse against us for any alleged or actual infringement or misappropriation of any proprietary right in your communications to us.
7. No Solicitation. You shall not distribute on or through this site any content or material containing any advertising, solicitation for goods, services or funds or solicitation for others to become members of any enterprise or organisation without our express prior written permission.
8. Advertisers. This site may contain advertising and sponsorship. Advertisers and sponsors are responsible for ensuring that material submitted for inclusion on this site is accurate and complies with applicable laws. We will not be responsible for the illegality of or any error or inaccuracy in advertiser's or sponsor's materials or for the acts or omissions of advertisers and sponsors.
9. Registration. Certain sections of this website require you to register. If registration is requested, you agree to provide us with accurate and complete registration information. It is your responsibility to inform us of any changes to that information. Each registration is for a single individual only, unless specifically designated otherwise on the registration page. We do not permit a) anyone other than you to use the sections requiring registration by using your name or password; or b) access through a single name being made available to multiple users on a network or otherwise. You are responsible for preventing such unauthorised use. If you believe there has been unauthorised use, you must notify us immediately at the Contact Us page.
10. Postings in interactive areas of the website.
10.1. Postings to be Lawful. If you participate in interactive areas on this site, you shall not post, publish, upload or distribute any messages, data, information, text, graphics, links or other material (Postings) which is unlawful or abusive in any way, including but not limited to any postings that are defamatory, libellous, pornographic, obscene, threatening, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, inclusive of hate speech, or would constitute or encourage a criminal offence, violate the rights of any party, or give rise to liability or violate any local, state, federal or international law.
10.2. Postings to be in Your Name. Your postings shall be accompanied by your real name and shall not be posted anonymously. Participants in interactive areas shall not misrepresent their identity or their affiliation with any person or entity.
10.4. Non-Commercial Use only of interactive areas. Any interactive area of this site is provided solely for your personal use. As a participant, you shall not include in your posting(s) or otherwise distribute on or through this site any content or material containing any advertising, promotion, and solicitation for goods, services or funds or solicitation for anyone to become members of any commercial enterprise or organisation without our express written permission. Any unauthorised use of any interactive area of this site, its content or postings is expressly prohibited.
11. Errors and Corrections. We do not represent or warrant that this site will be error-free, free of viruses or other harmful components, or that defects will be corrected or that it will always be accessible. We do not warrant or represent that the information available on or through this site will be correct, accurate, timely, or otherwise reliable. We may make improvements and/or changes to its features, functionality or content at any time.
12. Third Party Content. Third party content may appear on this site or may be accessible via links from this site. We shall not be responsible for and we assume no liability for any infringement, mistakes, misstatements of law, defamation, slander, libel, omissions, falsehood, obscenity, pornography or profanity in the statements, opinions, representations or any other form of content contained in any third party content appearing on this site. You understand that the information and opinions in the third party content is neither endorsed by nor does it reflect any belief of ours.
13. Attorney Ethics Notice. If you are an attorney participating in any aspect of this site, including but not limited to reviews, you acknowledge that the Rules of Professional Conduct of the jurisdictions where you are licensed (Rules) apply to all aspects of your participation and that you will abide by these Rules. These Rules include, but are not limited to, the rules relating to advertising, solicitation of clients, unauthorised practice of law, and misrepresentations of fact. We disclaim all responsibility for your compliance with these Rules. You further agree and acknowledge that when you participate in any interactive area on this site, including but not limited to the review section, that you will not offer legal advice, but will only provide general information.
14. Disclaimer. This web site is provided on an "as is, as available" basis. The book grocer expressly disclaims all warranties, including the warranties of merchantability, fitness for a particular purpose and non-infringement. The book grocer disclaims all responsibility for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage of any kind resulting from, arising out of or any way related to (a) any errors in or omissions from this site and the content, including but not limited to technical inaccuracies and typographical errors, (b) any third party web sites or content therein directly or indirectly accessed through links in this web site, including but not limited to any errors in or omissions there from, (c) the unavailability of this web site or any portion thereof, or (d) your use of this web site
15. Limitation of liability. The book grocer shall not be liable for any loss, injury, claim, liability, or damage of any kind resulting from your use of this site and the interactive areas of this site or any facts or opinions appearing on the review area. The book grocer shall not be liable for any special, direct, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages of any kind whatsoever (including, without limitation, attorneys' fees) in any way due to, resulting from, or arising in connection with the use of or inability to use this site or the content. To the extent the foregoing limitation of liability is prohibited, our sole obligation to you for damages shall be limited to $100.00.
17. Third Party Rights. The provisions of paragraphs 14 (Disclaimer), 15 (Limitation of Liability), and 16 (Indemnification) are for the benefit of The Book Grocer and its officers, directors, employees, agents, licensors, suppliers, and any third party information providers to the site. Each of these individuals or entities shall have the right to assert and enforce those provisions directly against you on its own behalf.
20. Additional Terms.